A Chamber of Commerce is a voluntary organization propelling the business community. The Chamber is eight years older than the Declaration of Independence, with New York State’s Chamber being the first, in 1768.
The Windsor Chamber of Commerce was augmented August 17, 1965. V.M. Moir, then the Northern Regional Manager of the California State Chamber of Commerce outlined the procedures. Phil Brainard and Larry Landrus flipped a coin to see who would take the presidency. Mr. Brainard lost the toss, and reigned as president until August 1971. The original By-laws and Constitution were submitted by Mrs. Eva Behney and Hurdis Saltzman.
During the early months of the Windsor Chamber of Commerce, board members sat on bags of cement and boxes at Brainard’s storeroom. Other meeting places have been Mickey Singer’s Feed Store (where the “Bill of Fare” was lunch meat and bread from Pohley’s Market) then on to the local Coffee Shop, the Grange, Kleist’s Heidelberg, the Airport Inn and back to the Grange Hall. Currently, the Chamber holds monthly luncheon meetings at local member restaurants on a rotating basis.
The Chamber office has been located in many venues, several secretaries homes, a store-front at Lakewood Shopping Center, and a small renovated house located behind the original fire station, and in the Old Downtown area. The Chamber is currently located in the Train Station at 9001 Windsor Road.
The Chamber as we know it today has been kept alive through the diligence of its early members. With the passing of time and the changing of faces in the Windsor Chamber of Commerce, the goal remains the same … a better community for all.